Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Hwk 54

Growing up as a Muslim I wasn’t exposed to any topics related to death and the afterlife. I have basic knowledge on the topic, but I want to form a deeper meaning on this concept. I decided to read translations from the Quran and Hadith that are based on the issue of death and the afterlife. Muslims believe that after facing the judgment of Allah they will either enter through the gates of paradise or go to hell. This decision is based upon how one lives their life and how much faith they have. Right after ones death, the soul is taken from the body by angels. The newly dead will be asked three questions which will determine how he/she will spend the time in his/her grave. These three questions are: Who is your God? Who is your Prophet? and lastly, what is your faith? If the newly dead answers these questions correctly he/she will spend the time in their grave accordingly until the day of resuurection.

Reading through the translations from the Quran and the Hadith I thought to myself about how I view caring for the dead. After reading and viewing how the American society and how they approach their dead, I was able to compare and contast on a different level. Some of the basic concepts are the same, but there are a number of small things which tend to make an Islamic approach to death very different when compared to the American approach to death. Before reading parts from the Quran and Hadith on death in Islam, I have had vague knowledge on how Islam teaches its followers about caring for the dead and the afterlife. I already knew most of what I read, but I was able to learn about everything on a much deeper level. I think the way Islam approaches death is the way everyone should approach death. The afterlife in Islam shapes how many Muslim people live their lives in this world. By following all the sayings from the Quran and the Hadith they will have a better chance of entering through the gates of paradise. But if they commit sins and lie throughout their life they will serve justice in Hell. It also depends on ones faith and how true they are to their faith.

“The soul of the faithful person, which is easily removed from the body, is clothed in a heavenly and sweet smelling garment by radiant and smiling angels. The soul is taken through the seven heavens, entering the presence of God who then orders the angels to return the soul to its earthly body until the day of judgment. On the other hand, the soul of the unbelieving person is removed from its body with a great deal of struggle. The angel of death clothes the soul with a foul smelling garment. The angel responsible for the wicked soul also tries to take the soul through the various levels of heaven but he gates of heaven are not opened to them." (Qur'an 7:40)

I decided to interview the Imam from the Masjid near my house. Angels are mentioned throughout the Quran and many Hadith. I know that Christianity and Judaism mentions angels as they do in Islam, so I decided to ask him if there are any similarities or differences between these angels. He replied: “Yes. angels in Islam are believed to be the same way as they are in Christianity and Judaism. They are sent by God to be with humans and help them right their deeds or protect them. If someone is in danger an angel can be sent down in the form of another person to assist the one in need of help.” (Shamsi). I was aware that the Christian and Jewish faith had belief in angels, but I didn’t know that the angels serve the same purpose in all three major faiths. Then I asked him about the afterlife and if we will have any relations with others such as our spouses from this life. He replied: “God mentions that if those that are admitted into Heaven are single, they would be married or paired off. They would have 'purified spouses' in paradise." (Shamsi) I thought this was interesting; I have heard that the one you marry in this life stays with you in the afterlife, but I wasn't clear about it until now.

After interviewing the Imam in addition to my research, I was able to have a much better understanding on the afterlife based on the Islamic faith and how it is very similar to other faiths. Even though the concept is similar in all faiths, the American society tends to deal with caring for the dead in a different manner. For example in the film titled "The Family Undertaking" the families of the deceased were dressing up the body in favorite clothing and decorating the caskets. This makes no sense to me because none of this will affect the one who has enetered their afterlife. They have left this world for good, and no matter what is done here in rememberance of the deceased there will be no change on their afterlife (this is my personal belief based on Islamic faith). In Islam instead of performing such rituals while caring for the dead, we make sure to recite the Quran as many times as possible and do good deeds such as helping out in charity on behalf of the newly deceased. I personally feel that the Islamic way of caring for the dead and its beliefs on the afterlife are essential to how I live my life. If it weren’t for the afterlife I would be living a meaningless life. This life for me is basically a test for me; if I pass I will enter through the gates of heaven, but if I fail I will go to hell and serve justice for my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment