Monday, May 2, 2011

Hwk 49

To Kevin:
Kevin,
You had a good mix of interviewees. Your interviews helped prove my point about religion/beliefs and how they shape how one approaches care of the dead. I personally did not agree with everything that was said. For example when Danny stated: “The person is dead so they won’t know how they’re body was treated.” I believe that the way a body is treated has a lot to do with their afterlife. It should be treated with care and respect and have a proper disposal which would be a burial (this is my own opinion based on my faith). I am not saying that one should spend 10,000 dollars on a funeral, but I think it’s the thought that counts. You wouldn’t want to do physical damage to the body such as kicking it or jumping up and down on it; it just wouldn’t seem right. That is why I disagree with Danny when he stated that the dead person won’t be affected by how his/her body is treated afterwards. I think this thought of his has a lot to do with him being an atheist; since he doesn’t have certain beliefs he doesn’t really have anything to believe in. He seems to go along with whatever he wants to follow. Thanks for sharing your interviews and your thoughts.
Amber M.

To Martyna:
Martyna,
It was interesting to read about your parents’ and their thoughts on care of the dead. I liked how they connected back to your Polish culture. When I interviewed my parents it was the same case; they kept connecting back to our Pakistani culture and Islam. I believe that faith affects how one shapes their thoughts on topics such as this one. You have grown up in a Christian family, and you were taught their way of approaching death. I think that the questions you asked your parents throughout this interview were a bit out of the ordinary which I thought made your interview interesting. Both of your parents gave honest answers and they seem to be good enough. In our society it is not common to be approached with such questions. At one point you asked you dad if he was afraid of death and he replied by saying that he does not try to think about it. This is true; I myself do not try to think about how I would like to be treated after death; this doesn’t seem to be much of a worry at this point in our lives. But what we don’t understand is that death can approach us any time sooner or later; so why not give it a thought now? Thanks for sharing the interview you conducted with your parents and your thoughts around it.
Amber M.

To Sam:
Sam,
The way you took on this assignment was interesting. You had a couple of quotes in there which helped me understand how your parents approached such questions. It was interesting to compare the responses your mother gave you to what your father gave you. Your mother isn’t as attached to her religious beliefs as much as your father. Because your mother isn’t really religious, all she cares about is her remembrance after her death. Your father does not have a set plan about how he wants his body to be cared for after his death. I like how you were honest throughout your post; your father didn’t seem to have much of a say on the topic. I feel as if many of us are afraid to think of death related issues; it is not something many of us like to discuss, take your father for example. I am sure when you approached your father with such questions he must have felt a bit uneasy; this can be concluded from the vague responses he gave you. Overall good job, I like how you stated your hypothesis towards the end.
Amber M.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Kevin:
Amber,
I like how you started your post with that overall summary, it made the post easier to read, and lets the reader know what's going on.
It was impressive that you used quotes in this post, even though they weren't asked for. It made this post have a more authentic feel to it.
You're structure was pretty easy to follow: summary, interview 1, interview 2, interview 3, analysis paragraphs.
It was interesting to find out about the Islamic traditions around death after learning about the Jewish traditions from sams post.
One suggestion I'd make is to keep it short and sweet. Keep only the most important information.

From Martyna:
Amber,
You described interviews with three teenagers of diverse religious backgrounds. This allowed you to make comparisons between different points of view.
I was particularly interested in the interview with your cousin. It included a brief description of a traditional Islamic funeral, which gave me new insight on the subject. Even though I lived in an Arabic country I never came in contact with the culture's attitude toward death (that is - until I read your post).
The the end, you connected what you found out in your interviews to your own opinions. This shows that you thought through and analyzed the information you obtained from your interviewees.
I agree - we don't usually talk about death. I appreciate that you had the courage to ask some of your questions despite them being rather unusual.
Your post was clear and interesting to read. Thank you,
Martyna

From Sam:
Amber,
I think they way you went about this interview was interesting, and there was clearly a lot of work put into it. You took careful notes on what the people were saying and you really payed attention to what caught your interest. You make interesting points about how the christian people weren't sure about whether not they wanted to be cremated. I think that is important to observe the way people with religious differences view the care of the dead. One of the things i would change about this is that you seemed focused on one topic, but i felt like it was too broad. You made remarks about religion and cremation, but you didn't go too in-depth on it. I feel if you took what these people said and was able to take your own personal bias out of it and see how different ideas can all revolve around the same basic concept and maybe see how these people can get these different ideas, then this would have been a lot more insightful. But i did honestly enjoy reading this. Good blog post Amber.
Sam

From Mentor (Mom):
Amber,
I decided to focus on your third paragraph which was about your interview with your cousin. It is nice to know that society has a big impact on how much someone knows about a topic like this one. Here in the United States not many people are educated on the topic of death and caring for the dead. Your cousin tends to show a lot of knowledge on the issue. He had the correct answers according to Islam for every question you asked him. Here, people usually attend funerals just to pay their respects to the ones who have passed on, but later on forget about the event. In your cousins case he seems to know much more about why everything is the way it is when caring for the dead according to his Pakistani society and culture. I am sure you were able to learn a few things yourself while interviewing him. I enjoyed reading your thoughts towards the end. I agree with what you had to say; “Society, culture and religion play a big role in what people have to say about topics such as caring for the dead.”
Mom

From Protege (Brother):
Amber,
You wanted me to focus on the fourth paragraph where you interview your 17 year old friend. I haven’t attended a funeral before, but I am sure I will feel the same way she did if I was to attend one any time soon. I think it takes time for death to actually become reality and this starts to become reality when you are caring for the body. From reading about your friends’ experience, I am getting the message that funerals put you in a daze. You feel as if you need to be pinched to believe that this is reality. Nobody wants to admit that someone has passed on. You later on mention that she is Christian; this gives her the option of having her body cremated. Some beliefs allow cremation, but others don’t; there is no right or wrong in her situation.
Nabil

No comments:

Post a Comment